Search This Blog

Book I read - The 3 mistakes of my life by Chetan Bhagat

This is the third book by Chetan Bhagat (www.chetanbhagat.com) of "5 point some one" and "One night @ a Call Centre" fame. This latest novel is based on the friendship between three young adults aged around 22 or so and the story happens in Ahmedabad. The story talks about the lives of these three young adults with varying aspirations and frustrations but bound by friendship. The author's official website says it is a book on Business, Cricket and Religion.

I have read the previous two books of Chetan Bhagat and the opinion I have is that of he is a modern day author who understands a bit more about the current generation. There is generally less of generation gap between him and the readers, who I guess, are pre-dominantly young adults. In that way, when I got this book, I decided to give it a try.

It is a decent read because it never made me feel bored. Remember, I cant read for hours together unless it is interesting. I normally drop the book if it fails to impress/engage me in the first few pages. This made me read for hours. So, it passes the first test of being interesting or not. I read it in a breeze and it is very light with not much of thinking needed in between. That is, I guess, is the success of the author. He has used real life situations intelligently, like the India-Australia cricket test series, Godhra train tragedy etc.,

Though the flow has been good, I still felt that there is no depth. Few of the situations are also looked too cliched. May be more to with the need to reduce the pages and thereby reduce the cost as well. Overall it is an interesting read. The book sells for 95 rupees, not bad, isnt?

No comments: