Search This Blog

Credit card upgrades and direct debit authorisations!

We frequently come across offers for Credit Card upgrades from Silver to Gold and now more recently, Platinum cards based on the transaction history. Though going for a platinum card is useful from reward points and other benefits perspective, the point we need to be careful about is the migration of direct debit authorisations given to various utility bill payments like telephone bills, electricity bills etc.,
Recently I was offered a Platinum card by State Bank of India replacing my Gold card. I gleefully accepted the new card but failed to notify my mobile telephone company of the change in the credit card number. The mobile telephone company could not execute the direct debit authorisation and they started sending me SMS's and made calls asking me to make the payment. I was very angry with the person who called from their call centre asking for payment since I had already given direct debit authorisation on my credit card, but I didnt realise that the credit card to which I have provided the direct debit authorisation was no longer valid. It stuck me suddenly couple of days after the call that I have upgraded my credit card and the credit card number would have got changed.
I have to now submit a new direct debit authorisation to the mobile telephone company with the new credit card details.
Is it not possible for the credit card issuing companies to provide the upgraded cards with the same credit card number to ensure continuity of direct debit payments?

No comments: